Thursday, August 25, 2005

Clips, Cuts, and Sports

Another ritual of mine that fits my north-of-the-loop lifestyle is the monthly trip to Sport Clips. This little marketing genius targets males who don't value the "salon haircut" but still want the buzz cut done correctly within a masculinity-reinforcing "sportsy" setting. Since I moved to DFW, I've actually been moving up the hair cut ladder starting out with Supercuts, and then on to Pro*cuts (where a nice old russian lady called Malvina cut my hair every month), until now where I go to Sport Clips.



Usually they have something like sportscenter or the world poker tourney on the TV. I think they specifically train the stylists to determine if you want to small talk or not. This is one of the main reasons why I go to Sport Clips. They ask me one question about my day or something and I answer in a polite-but-I-don't-want-to-banter-so-lets-get-on-with-the-haircutting answer. And then that's it. (Malvina didn't need this training --- her english wasn't the best so she was happy not to chat either.)


In all likelihood, my next progression will be the do-it-yourself baldman's haircut. I'd like to think it is just the sun bleaching that makes it look thinner, but slowly, one hair at a time, the follicles are jumping ship. So someday, I will just take the clippers to my noggin and save the 15 bucks I spend on hair every month. But until then, I get to watch TV un-interrupted while getting my ears lowered.

3 Comments:

At 8/26/2005 10:57 AM, Blogger j-lay said...

i tried sports clips 3 times. 3 times! not one time did they cut my hair right. after each time i had to fix it my self at home.

it is a great marketing idea, and i'm sure there are good stylist there. too bad i didn't find one.

 
At 8/26/2005 12:42 PM, Blogger LukeMiller said...

i used to have a regular "stylist" at great clips in mckinney. her name was anna and she was from south korea. she couldn't speak english well, but she would go on and on about the howy spirt and jesus and how much he lov yu. she so hap that i wan be minster.

she quit working there and now i just go to whatever's closest.

last time i went to visible changes in plano. if the poor little girl from farmersville still works there, i may go back. she likes graham greene and steinbeck and needs someone to motivate her to do something more with her life than live at home and cut hair in "the big city" 45 minutes away.

 
At 8/29/2005 6:51 AM, Blogger Dale said...

NEVER go to a place with "clips" in the name. so sick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home