Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The Standard of Cleanliness

Roommate R is going on a trip to NY thursday. The question is, will he clean his detritus left in our kitchen/living space or not before he leaves? I haven't seen talked to him in a couple of days, so I haven't been able to give him the usual, "clean this shit up" speech.

It is quite interesting though how different people have different standards of cleanliness. I have a co-worker that will re-wash dishes that his wife washed if he deems them not clean enough. Does his wife really have a different standard of cleanliness? or does she just have him so well trained to eventually do everything around the house because of her "inability" to properly clean things?

At any rate, I'm giving roommate R a chance to clean before he leaves. I don't want to give the wrong impression that I'm a neat freak -- I've got pleanty of clutter in my room. But I am bothered by the mess in the "shared living area". And I have time to clean it right now and throw all the crap in his room, but that's not the point.

Obviously, we have different standards of cleanliness...

3 Comments:

At 7/27/2005 7:19 AM, Blogger j-lay said...

i totally understand and now love living alone. though i miss splitting the rent.

 
At 7/27/2005 7:40 AM, Blogger LukeMiller said...

you have every right to ask him to "clean his shit up." it's shared space, and sometimes people like this need assholes in their life to point out their weaknesses. seriously, occassionally someone will point out something that i don't do well, and while i may be taken aback initially, i'm usually glad that they had the balls to bring it up so i don't continue making the same mistakes.

and as far as the different standards go, there is a common standard that dirty dishes should be taken care of promptly.

 
At 7/27/2005 8:38 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

roomates. you love 'em and hate 'em, all that the same time.

i had a roomate once who kept the place pretty trashed. to make a point, i would wait her out and not touch one thing she messed up. but then i was more miserable living in such a hole than i would've been had i just cleaned it up myself in the first place.

there was this one time..she cooked eggs.. and left the crusty egg remnants in my new pampered chef pan for 2 weeks....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home