Friday, June 17, 2005

eco-goat-herders



I worked with someone in software QC at my company today that, of all things, has just started an organic, goat dairy farm. This guy lives in Columbus, Ohio area and apparently there is market there for organic, non-pasteurized, goat milk. I just thought it was interesting how the small, family farm model is somewhat returning. Only it has reincarnated in a more trendy, environmentally-friendly, organic form. And I think that they might succeed too as long as the market for this stuff remains niche and stays under the radar of the large agribusinesses.

Why do I care? It is a little-known fact that I grew up on a small dairy farm in Nowhere, Wisconsin. (Wisconsin is no longer the #1 state in cheese or milk production BTW) And yes, I’m proud to admit that I’ve shoveled a lot of shit in my day. Builds character.

Although many complain about government farm subsidies (with good reason sometimes, but that also gets into global trade issues and whatnot), the small family farm was essentially a small business that got squeezed out just like Wal-Mart squeezed out all of the local downtown small businesses and factories. So I’m not lamenting about it, it just is what it is.

Well, I say hats off to the eco-goat-herders, but you won't find me drinking goat's milk anytime soon. Incidentally, my roommate just turned to eating all organic now, so it must be a lot more common than I thought. I wonder if they make organic feta?

4 Comments:

At 6/17/2005 2:12 PM, Blogger LukeMiller said...

kerri and i tried to go organic for a while... and should probably return. mad props to your friend.

 
At 6/21/2005 7:35 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

goats milk tastes just like regular milk.

i'm so excited about your blog!

 
At 6/21/2005 10:55 AM, Blogger Dale said...

This is GENUIS! What the crap does bass umbrella mean? Look at john go, sliding in with a blog with no fanfare or anouncement. Just, Bam! it is there speaking of bacon, and freaking organic goats. Classic.

 
At 6/21/2005 9:45 PM, Blogger BU said...

I could sit here and say that BU has some deep hidden meaning, but it just comes from the randomness of tworows advertising someone else's beer. Randomness is one of blogging's better attributes.

And really, I couldn't think up a name that wasn't lame so I took the next best thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home