Saturday, July 30, 2005

Get Rich Quick

I've got this cube neighbor who literally has a different get rich quick scheme every day. All of these plans include eBay as a secret to his success. His goal is to be a "platinum-seller" on eBay which means you have to have sold like 150K/mo. online.

I don't think he'd mind too much if I told you some of his plans: He started out selling air conditioning compressors that he took from junk yard cars. He would go also to estate/yard sales of rich, Frisco/Plano housewives and buy a bunch of junk and re-sell it. He'll list it for 99c and sit back and watch the suckers bid against each other.


But his biggest scheme that he's been working on is becoming a online used car salesman. He's already got a deal with one used car salesman to sell cars using his lot. Apparently, people pay a lot more online for used cars than in person. He's already went to the car auctions to see how it is done. The margins on these used car lots are ridiculous.

Used car salesman really are scum. But my cube neighbor calls it maximizing the power of your mind or some such bull shit.

So I ask myself: "Self, how come you aren't out there selling close-out Fry's equipment on eBay? or how come you don't open a Subway franchise?"
Well self, it's because

1. I'm not that ambitious.
2. I don't know jack about business. (engineer drop-outs become business majors)
3. I have a steady paycheck at the moment.
4. and even if I didn't, the word entrepreneur is not in my vocabulary.


But for now, I'm just content making fun of my cube neighbor and telling him he's a sleazy, dot-com, used car salesman. That's about as ambitious as I'm going to get.

4 Comments:

At 8/01/2005 7:09 AM, Blogger LukeMiller said...

"He's already went to the car auctions to see how it is done."

you'll definitely want to take business grammar first.

i may have a pretty good post soon about a similar guy at my office.

 
At 8/01/2005 9:11 AM, Blogger j-lay said...

get rich quick is a bunch of crap. getting rich takes a lot of hard work, getting lucky with the lotto, or having a rich relative die.

good for him if he can make an buck or two on the side. as long as he is honest about his products it is the sucker on the other ends fault for paying too much for something.

 
At 8/01/2005 8:29 PM, Blogger The Cynical Tyrant said...

hey, the first 100 people in line at Ikea on wednesday get a free chair. if all of journey goes to get in line and we get 100 free chairs, we can then sell them, and TOTALLY GET RICH QUICK!!

 
At 3/24/2008 1:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home