Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Mountain Biking in Texas

I know, the term "mountain" in mountain-biking is a bit of a misnomer in Texas, but I've been "trail-riding" now for about 3 years and I really love it. Surprisingly, there are quite a few trails in the Dallas area, but I've only been to two: Rowlett Creek Preserve in Garland and Erwin Park in McKinney. But, sorry, they are all outside the loop.

The reasons why trail-riding in texas is genius are manyfold:

1. Excuse for me to get out in nature. Allbeit Texas nature, but nature none the less.
2. Fresh air.
3. Exercise.
4. Way more fun than jogging.
5. Getting to jump over logs and climb up and down hills and ditches.
6. Free my mind and just take on whatever is around the next curve.
7. Come back home drenched in sweat, scrapes and bruises, and the occasional poison ivy rash.

genius! all within a 15 minute drive from my apartment. I enjoy trail-riding for many of the same reasons as snowboarding, but, unfortunately, it takes more than 15 minutes for me to get to the slopes.


Before I bought my Gary Fisher three years ago, I hadn't rode a bike since probably the 6th grade on my old Huffy BMX. So I was surprised to learn that things in the biking world had advanced quite a bit. Although, my bike is not terribly expensive, it is still quite light, has front suspension, and, as of last fall, I have clips/shoes instead of pedals.

I did have some friends at my previous church that helped me get into trail-riding, but lately, I've been going by myself or with my co-workers. But I'm always looking for someone to ride with... plus it helps to use the buddy system so someone can still dial 911 when necessary.

5 Comments:

At 8/10/2005 11:32 AM, Blogger LukeMiller said...

i'm about to buy a bike, and i would love to start biking with you.

 
At 8/11/2005 9:39 AM, Blogger i am cam said...

you should take a trip to waco. they've got a great park with great trails.

 
At 8/11/2005 10:31 AM, Blogger j-lay said...

i have a bike that is dying to hit the trail. we need to pick a date and go with it.

 
At 8/15/2005 3:07 PM, Blogger Carter Rose said...

yeah mountain biking seems waaaay cooler than that silly road stuff

 
At 8/18/2005 7:39 AM, Blogger LukeMiller said...

i need to talk to you about bikes... and you need to post again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home