Wednesday, October 26, 2005

DVR

After a conversation with wongojack, I got inspired to make my own DVR.

It was relatively quite simple. I have a computer that I built about 3 years ago, so it isn't too old to do the job. I've got a Athlon 1Ghz proc with 512M of RAM and 40G HD.

I did a little research on the web -- one in particular About.com had a site that gave user ratings the top TV cards out there right now.

I decided on the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150:


cost: 100$ (with the added instant-gratification of buying it at Fry's)
It even came with a remote control!

It was really quite easy to install. And believe it or not, I actually had an extra 120G HD lying around so I stuck it in my computer as well. (I bought the HD just in case I needed it when fixing my parent's computer because they live in the middle of nowhere) With the default compression setting, I could save about 100 hours of TV on the HD.

I am able to schedule recordings and pause live TV. I should also be able to burn recordings to a DVD on my burner as well, but I haven't tried it yet.

My video card isn't the greatest (Geforce4 32MB) and it doesn't have a coax output so I can't watch anything on the DVR from my legacy TV. But I can see the picture quite well on my 19" ViewSonic from my bed.

I've been watching the white sox beat the astros while typing this blog:



Oh well, sorry Astros.


Anyway, DVR has changed my life! and no 10$ monthly fee.

2 Comments:

At 10/27/2005 10:43 AM, Blogger j-lay said...

i so need to do this.

 
At 10/27/2005 1:37 PM, Blogger The Cynical Tyrant said...

wow. that's 100 hours of PBS for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home