Thursday, March 05, 2009

chacos


I just bought a pair of Z1 chacos. I've drunk the REI cool-aid a long time ago, but I guess this just seals the deal. As subjesus points out, I've basically done every outdoor thing that REI sells junk for. (except paddling...but whatever)

Generic blogs are mostly just for introspection and narcissism so, I just thought it was interesting that I've jumped on the REI bandwagon, but haven't drank the Apple store cool-aid. Both companies make products for (comparatively) rich people with discretionary (disposable) income. If I take out the factors of cost, quality of products, corporate ethos, etc from these two companies, what I end up with is brand identity--as apple has pointed out quite overtly.

Well, for good, bad, or ugly, as a consumer-based identity attribute, I'm fine with being an REI-person and trepidacious of being a Apple-person.

I'm also fine with being an Ubuntu-person. ... which is the opposite of consumerism cometothinkofit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home