Thursday, April 12, 2007

From the Inside of the Loop


I may not have a lot of things... but now I've got venue.

I could walk to a jazz club. I am surrounded by trees that are older than my parents.

I had a telling experience this morning that I'm not in the "suburbs" anymore. I went to the cleaners for the first time down here. So I just turned into the first place I saw in the lakewood shopping strip. I rolled in and plopped down my shirts and saw an elderly gentleman at a desk, but a middle-aged woman approached me and asked my name and starch preference and proceeded to WRITE IT DOWN on a slip of paper.

It's like I've gone back in time! At my cleaners I used to go to in the Suburb, it was brand new, it had a drive through, it was enviro-friendly, they had a fancy database hooked up to new dell computers with flat screens and a young chinese owner who gave me a receipt from the database for pickup with my name, reference tracking number, estimated pickup time, and even my starch history clearly printed on it.

I have to admit, things are different down here.

3 Comments:

At 4/13/2007 7:12 AM, Blogger LukeMiller said...

welcome.

 
At 4/19/2007 1:02 PM, Blogger j-lay said...

obviously you like it.

 
At 5/16/2007 6:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try going to Swiss Cleaners at Mockingbird and Central (in that LaMadeline strip). Not quite as close to us, but they are eniromentally friendly.

Can't wait to hear about Africa!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home